Ruminating On Rumi

As you start to walk out on the way, the way appears.

~ M. Rumi

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Eye of the Storm


Always change.  Sometimes slow and dependable like the breath. Long slow flow on the inhale. Long slow flow on the exhale. Sometimes churning and tumultuous, a vortex of energy swirling and twirling, engulfing. Most off though with this natural always evident, every present phenomenon, we deny it’s existence. “ I can’t believe this happened.” “She died.” “The motor just stopped.” “They broke up.” “The movie’s over.” 

Our language echoes our denial. We are so detached from the present moment that like the proverbial deer caught in the headlights we are surprised by the ever changing flow of existence. The quote, “This too will pass,” is a truism that can change our relationship with not only the present moment but our existence in this body. 

Every thing comes and every thing goes. Even this is only a pointer to actuality. We, this is not a thing, in the relative sense of the word. All that is contained in this moment is a verb, it is action, every changing. The mind, our left hemisphere understands, craves opposites. We need to know. We find our comfort in a simplistic, dumbed down, dualistic view of the world. If it’s not good; it must be bad.  If you’re not with us; you’re against us. 

To acknowledge that there are absolutely no absolutes and that no thing is one thing always is very uncomfortable. My motto for many years has been “Just say know.”  I am a product of this age of reason.  As I season, I sense, intuit, embrace, “I don’t know.”  Because I really don’t. Perhaps I am certain of only one, this body I inhabit will after some time cease to be. In knowing that, a great gift is revealed. I, we, get to play and be played by the mystery of this moment. 

So together, as one, let us befriend this moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment