Ruminating On Rumi

As you start to walk out on the way, the way appears.

~ M. Rumi

Friday, June 29, 2012

Silly Me!!!


I used to think I was a light hearted care free person because I could so easily make puns. What I’ve discovered is that being a good punster only means a certain skill with words, a rather extensive vocabulary and a quick wit. If anything, attaining master punster status requires a certain tenacity based on the need to know. Sometimes I pun when I want to take away the seriousness of a situation or distract myself from really experiencing what’s going on the moment. Certainly, there are times when it’s in jest.

Of note though, punning often happens when others provide the fodder for the pun. That’s not necessarily fun for the one being punned. It can be considered rude or disrespectful or demeaning. It can leave the punnee scratching their head, thinking, “I don’t get it.” Yet punning with the co-operative play and participation of others can reach a state of hilarity and silliness. 
Though what I’m really saying is that I need to take life and myself a little less seriously. Punning is goal oriented. Just to stop reaching for undefined perfection and allow mistakes their due, yes to learn by, but also sometimes to completely, wholeheartedly with unabandoned pleasure laugh at. 
What I would care to cultivate is silliness. True, genuine, belly laughing, giggling, chortling, chuckling hilarity. Really, a sense of playfulness, with no goal at all just to laugh joyously in this moment. Attending laughter yoga can coax out that silly inner child. Play, smiles and laughter with others is a remedy for what ails us and as the well aged show us even perhaps the elixir for a long, happy time in the body here on earth.
A little groaner of a joke, What did the Buddha say to the Hot Dog Vendor?  Make me one with everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment