Ruminating On Rumi

As you start to walk out on the way, the way appears.

~ M. Rumi

Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Mysteries of the You-niverse





At one time I used to believe that I needed to know everything. Really, I still have to keep in check an inquiring mind that believes there is a right or wrong, a yes or no to everything. Now, I’m learning that perhaps the most important mature thing I can do is to let that notion go.  
Not only is it completely impossible to know everything but why would I want to know everything. To appreciate the unknowns, to feel comfort in not knowing, to be able to let go feels “right” to me now. Not only does it feel right, it feels far less of a burden on heart, soul and mind. And, it opens up the greater possibility for surprises. Yes, admittedly, when we attach a value judgement, there are good and bad surprises. When I step out of the need to place a value on an experience, I can simply be present with the experience and then respond or not in the most appropriate way.
This journey of waking up doesn’t guarantee that we won’t have challenges.  It seems challenges are more frequent. I notice I have plenty of opportunity to practice digging into my resources of being centered, tuning into the breath and coming into the present moment. Life is a pendulum, it swings from one extreme to another and in balance, it still hovers. There is never a time when we can say, “Ah, ha, I made it here I am.” The star feature of living in a you-niverse governed by relative time is that change happens, all ways. Yet, at the same time, and this is the paradox. In the absolute timeless sense, what never changes is that which animates all beings. Call it energy, call it soul, call it God; call it Love, call it what you like. It is impossible to word the wordless. 
What I call the you-niverse, you in the universal  sense of the word is on one hand a collection of beings in bodies learning to navigate all that happens. On the other hand, the you-niverse, us as one, is unfolding exactly as is needed. This cosmic one soul in the absolute evolves from the relative perspective of individuals making relationship to that which we perceive as separate.
All we need do, you can call it doing, is listen to that sacred inner voice that neither judges nor prescribes. This small voice of our conscience sometimes whispers and sometimes shouts.  But if we listen quietly and closely there is the possibility to realize we are always wholly holy whole. 

No comments:

Post a Comment